The most commonly played card games in India is Indian rummy. People enjoy this game because it is simple to understand, easy to play and yet great at sharpening certain life skills. While the game is equally enjoyed in all parts of India, the variation played in each part is quite different. There are slight inflections in rules but the basic purpose of the game is the same everywhere.
Read along to know how rules change in different variations of rummy card games. Get a peep into the nuances of the game and understand some tricks that help you master each variation.
Classification Based on Number of Cards Used
There are three variations of Indian rummy based on the number of cards distributed and the rules vary for each of these variations. Here we have listed these out and explained how the rules change for each:
10 Cards Rummy
This variation of rummy, as the name suggests, is played by distributing 10 cards to each player. The variation is quick and the best choice for players who don’t like long boring games. Here is a quick glance at the rules of this variation of rummy:
- Every player needs to make one pure sequence which is regarded as life in this variation
- The other two can either be sets (melds) or sequences
- You may use jokers to complete sets (melds) and any second sequence
13 Cards Rummy Game
The standard variation of rummy is the 13 cards rummy game and this is commonly played in most parts of India. In this variation, each player is distributed 13 cards each by the dealer. Here is a quick glance at the rules of this variation of the game:
- Each player needs to make two sequences of which one is pure (natural) sequence and the other is real (artificial) sequence and the two are together termed as life in this variation
- Apart from this, the remaining one may either be set (meld) or sequence
- You may use jokers to complete all the sequences and melds except the natural sequence
- Apart from the existing jokers in the deck, one card is randomly pulled out from the deck to play the pulled-out joker
21 Cards Rummy Game
This variation of rummy is an ideal choice if you have more players who are enthusiastic and enjoy long sessions of rummy. In this game, each player is distributed 21 cards. Have a glance at the rules of 21 cards rummy game:
- Each player needs to make two sequences while the remaining two can either be melds or sequences
- One sequence needs to be a pure (natural) sequence
- You may use jokers to complete the remaining sequences or sets
- There are three types of jokers in 21 cards rummy game apart from the blank cards and joker cards in the deck. These are the pulled-out joker, upper joker and lower joker
Types Based on the Length of the Session
There are types in Indian rummy online games based on the session length as well. You can broadly classify these as follows:
This variation of rummy is best for those who prefer to finish the game soon. The points rummy ends in just a single round and the winner or loser is decided at the end of the game. At the end of the game, whoever has maximum points is the loser while whoever calls it rummy first is the winner.
As the name suggests, in this variation of rummy games, the number of deals to be played is decided beforehand. At the end of the decided number of deals, whoever has maximum points is the loser while whoever has minimum points is the winner of the game. You have an option to pass your turn at the beginning or midway through the game. The points charged will vary in each case. The common variations of this type available on Khelplay Rummy are:
- 2 Deals Rummy
- 3 Deals Rummy
- 6 Deals Rummy
In this variation, the cut-off points are decided beforehand. Whoever reaches those points first loses the game. Whoever has the minimum points wins the game. The two variants of this form available on Khelplay Rummy are:
- 101 Pool Rummy
- 201 Pool Rummy
You can register to play rummy online for real cash and make a few quick bucks if you are well versed with all the variants of rummy.